I made my Halloween costume this week, and of course having this awesome blog I thought "what a great opportunity to make a tutorial for my blog." What started as a "mostly" thought out plan to make a very simple replica of this bumblebee masterpiece my mom made in the early nineties...
... ended up as an entire evening of crafting a striped shift dress with a lined bodice. So while I would love for this post to be a sweet and simple tutorial (my fave kind) on a bee costume, unfortunately for everyone involved, it is anything but that. It is basically me talking about how to make a dress, that you would normally make from a pattern, out of thin air; aka a very "correct" but scrappy way to make a dress. I am no sewing master, but I would definitely not take this project on unless you have a few sewing projects under your belt.
So, without further ado, let's begin.
The level of prep involved in this project was low. Basically, I knew I needed some black and yellow fabric, and I am cheap, so Walmart it was (I hate me too). One thing I will tell you is that if you are ever sewing anything and you can use a WOVEN fabric instead of a KNIT fabric, choose woven at all costs. Woven is simple to explain; it's a zillion threads running horizontally and vertically as if you were weaving one of those nostalgic potholders on a loom with those stretchy fabric things. Over, under, over, under, over, under. You get it. Rocket science.
Knit fabric, on the other hand, is a huge network of tiny loops that link together to form the fabric. I want to compare it to chainmail but I am sort of guessing. Anyway, woven fabric has zero stretch, while knit has a lot of stretch. Cotton t shirts are knit fabric. That's why t shirt quilts are really freaking annoying to make. So, you want woven. The best, and cheapest, kind of woven fabric is just a simple dyed cotton. You'll know it's cotton because it will say "cotton," you'll know its woven because it won't stretch, and you will know its the right one to get if it's under $3 a yard. Fabric stores, specifically the quilting section of fabric stores will have the most unfathomable level of overabundance of cotton fabric you will ever see. Pick one and get out as fast as possible.
I chose what length to get in an embarrassingly haphazard way. (Basically throughout this non-tutorial I am going to tell you two versions of this story: what you should do to make this costume, and then what I actually did to make this costume.) When choosing fabrics I pulled a black cotton that didn't have much left on the ream, and asked the woman at the counter to cut the yellow fabric the same size as the black. It ended up being something weird, like 37.25 inches or so. I got lucky here because the manufactured width of the fabric was a standard 45 inches: just enough to get around my tush. If the fabric hadn't fit around my body I would have spent a lot more time sewing strips of fabric to get a large enough piece to go all the way around.
I figured out by holding the fabric up to my body that I wanted the length of the dress I was planning (plans change) to be 35 inches from my shoulders to the hem. This would mean I'd start with six, 6 inch strips of fabric with a half inch seam allowance to get to 35 inches. (After sewing a half inch seam allowance each piece, except for the ends, would be 5 inches.) By keeping the fabric folded while cutting I saved a bit of time. This is only recommended if your measurements don't have to be precise. That's true in this case, so go for it.
By the way, anytime you sew anything you really should wash and dry the fabric first. Things tend to shift around weird after the first wash, so if you are making anything you'd like to last: wash it.
After cutting 3 strips of 6 inch fabric (3 yellow, 3 black) I laid each pair out on a table and pinned them together. In my book pinning is optional, especially on a straight line of woven fabric, but in this case I pinned because I knew you'd see it. Gotta keep up my pro status.
And here is yet ANOTHER reason I love me some woven cotton... no side is the right side. When there's a right and wrong side of fabric (the fuzzy/shiny/printed/patterned side) you've got to do more thinking. Who wants that?
After each pair of fabric strips were sewn together with a 1/2 inch seam allowance (3/8 standard seam allowance, my ass), I pinned those together and sewed 'em up. I also feel that at this point in the project back stitching is also optional. So far any and all seams you've made up to this point will be crossed over with a different seam. Save your time.
The next step was to sew the fabric ends onto themselves to make the fabric "tube" I mentioned. At this step is where the first glimmer of deviation from the original plan can be noted. Seeing as the width of my striped fabric sheet was just enough to clear the width of my baby-makin'-hips, I realized if I don't keep the upper part of the costume open, I'd risk ripping it every time I put it on or took it off. This is where I decided to measure about half way up the costume... just kidding. I held it up to my body and pointed to where about the opening would be. It happened to be at about 15 inches from the bottom seam. Think about any fitted dress you have that isn't stretchy... how would you get it on without a back zipper? This is what I was going for by leaving the top part of the back seam open.
I lined each seam up to each other and pinned perpendicularly to the direction I would be sewing.
You'll definitely want to iron open your seam here because we are going to need to finish the edges of the fabric from this point, all the way to the top of the dress. You'll do this by ironing open the seam you just made, but continue to iron the raw edge of each side all the way to the neck end of the dress.
This is where we get very technical and lucky. I had finally decided to make a dress instead of a puffy tube of fabric for my costume, so I needed to figure out where my neckline would be. I say I was lucky because I had no clue of how to choose a neckline without the costume being on my body. I put it on and realized I could see my v-neck shirt underneath. Perfect neckline. I traced it with pencil. That's the technical part.
Now, I can't really explain why I did the next step this way, other than to say I didn't want to waste any fabric. I sewed black fabric on vertically to the top of the dress approximately where the shoulder straps would meet up with the neckline I had chosen.
The biggest difference you may notice between the last step and the photo below is that I have cut the neckline of the dress. One thing that is verrrry important to notice is that I cut about a half inch outside of my pencil drawn neckline. You need to remember your seam allowances!
Another big difference here is that there is a layer of black fabric behind my project. This is intended to be the lining of the dress. I normally wouldn't line a Halloween costume. Especially this costume, because I will be fully dressed underneath. The reason I lined it, which you'll see in a minute is because the liner allows us to end up with a nice, finished seam all along the neckline. If I were making a dress for my wardrobe, I would definitely line it.







No comments :
Post a Comment