icons

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

I've Read Seven Books In Seven Weeks

Happy Birthday to the Hobbyist! 
It's been one year since my first post, and I'd like to say 
"thanks for reading" with this photo of a card.
Get this cute greeting card from 9thletterpress.com <--not an AD


So, speaking of reading, I LOVE to read but I don't do it as often as I'd like, because books are so expensive on my Kindle.

"Why don't you borrow books from the library?" my girl Anna asked me one day. "They're free."

She had a point...

In college the campus library was my home. It was a magical place where I could hole-up all day and eat two whole meals (brunch and dinner), 6 hours apart while studying, and also taking breaks to play the sims for way too long. 

I'm out of college now (3 freaking years!!) and the closest library is further than I like. Somehow while lamenting about how expensive books are on Amazon.com, the conversation Anna and I were having turned, and I realized that I could PROBABLY borrow books from the library to read on my kindle. Omg, why hadn't I thought of that before? What a NOVEL idea. 

See what I did there?

So in early August I paid the $65 in late fees I had been putting off since 2013, got my library card renewed (free), and started borrowing books to read on my kindle. These days I don't even bother to put them on my kindle anymore, because there's this thing called OneDrive, and it's awesome. I read on OneDrive from the browser on my phone, or on a desktop computer on my lunch break. My Mom reads her borrowed library books in OneDrive on her iPad's browser. It's just easier to teach people because it's less steps to borrow and return ebooks. Plus OneDrive automatically saves your pages when you exit. How convenient for us lazies, amiright?

So really, anyone* can borrow books from the library, without actually stepping foot in the library if they have two things:
  • a library card (you do have to actually go into the library to get one, I believe)
  • internet access
I'll tell you how to borrow books at the bottom of this post after I brag about all the awesome books I've enjoyed, and what I'm planning to read next. I am definitely open to suggestions. What books do you recommend? Let me know in the comments.

Books I've read since August:

 Death Masks: The Dresden Files Series, Book 5 - Jim Butcher
 Blood Rites: The Dresden Files Series, Book 6 - Jim Butcher
 Gathering Blue: The Giver Quartet, Book 2 - Lois Lowry
 Messenger: The Giver Quartet, Book 3 - Lois Lowry
 Bossypants - Tina Fey
 Landline - Rainbow Rowell
 Without You There Is No Us - Suki Kim

Books I started to read but stopped because I learned I don't like to read books after I've seen the movie or show:

 A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire Series, Book 1
 The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The HGTTG Series, Book 1

Books that are in my library waiting for me to read them:

 Yes, Please - Amy Poehler (I have 15 days to read this)
 Son: The Giver Quartet, Book 4 - Lois Lowry (19 days to read)
 Salt Sugar Fat - Michael Moss (20 days to read)
 Orange is the New Black - Piper Kerman 
                    (20 days, but maybe I won't want to read it since I've seen the show)

These are all the holds I'm waiting on to become available so I can borrow them:

 Dead Beat: The Dresden Files Series, Book 7 - Jim Butcher (I'm next in line for this one)
 Attachments - Rainbow Rowell (1 person ahead of me)
 Why Not Me? - Mindy Kaling (118 people ahead of me bc Mindy is incredible)
 Let's Pretend This Never Happened - Jenny Lawson (5 people ahead of us, Jimmy)
 Hungry - H. A. Swain (4 people ahead of me)
 Carry On - Rainbow Rowell (38 people ahead of me - I'm not sure if this book is out yet)
 Fan Girl - Rainbow Rowell (3 people ahead of me)


So this is how to borrow a library ebook:
  • find a library that offers ebooksOneDrive's library finder is a really good place to start. Remember, OneDrive is how you can borrow library books without owning a Kindle, a Nook, a tablet, or a smartphone, but you can still use it even if you do. It's more inclusive though. If you do have one of those devices and want to read on it, you can still use OneDrive's website to find libraries that offer ebooks. Do it.
  • obtain a library card at a library that offers ebooks - go into the library and ask for a library card. You will likely need a driver's license or some other proof that you live in the area that the library services.  While you're there it might be a good idea to confirm that library's ebook lending process because they can vary. I am currently borrowing books from the Allegheny County Library Association in Pennsylvania. They service all of Allegheny County. There are many libraries in the network, but they share to offer a larger volume of books to everyone. I'll bet most libraries are like this. Click here if you want to read about how the libraries in Allegheny County are related and how they work together. It's actually kind of interesting.
***If libraries in your area don't offer ebooks, a neighboring county or library network that offers ebooks may allow you to obtain a non-resident library card for an annual fee. It might be worth the drive. My library card is good for three years. Don't give up!***
  • log on to your library's ebook borrowing websiteI borrow my ebooks from pittsburgh.libraryreserve.com, but some libraries might have their ebook borrowing portal right on their main site. After you've searched, found a book that wasn't already checked out, and borrowed that book, you can click the button that says "read" and this button will likely take you to OneDrive, or a comparable service that I'm not aware of.
  • You can stop at the last step, but if you want to put the ebooks on your kindle - choose the "download as kindle book" or similar choice on your library's ebook site. This will take you to amazon.com where you will be promted to log in. Next click "get library book" and choose the device you want to send the book to (one of your many, luxurious kindles, or the kindle apps on your twelve smart devices). From here you will now manage books downloaded on amazon.com under "your account", "manage your content and devices" in the top right menu. I love my kindle but this option kind of sucks because now you have to manage your amazon content and the library's web site too. It's really not that hard. If I was going to be traveling I would absolutely put in the extra step to add the books to my kindle, but on a daily basis I just use OneDrive.

Too Long Didn't Read: find a library that offers ebooks using this site and use their web site or call them to find out how to borrow ebooks


Thanks again for reading the blog this year. Keep it up. And don't forget to recommend books you've enjoyed in the comments!!


No comments :

Post a Comment