icons

Monday, February 2, 2015

No Poo for You

Alright, it looks like I might be attempting to go "no poo" pretty soon. I have had dandruff from hell for the last 5 or more years, and my fine hair gets overly greasy after 24 hours. No Poo is a hair care method that seems to be relatively new (or maybe just new to me) where you stop using standard shampoo and conditioner and you replace them with baking soda and apple cider vinegar (respectively) until you can stop using products altogether. Or you can just go cold turkey.

Reasons I've gathered for somebody to go No Poo:

- you have a hair or scalp abnormality you are trying to fix (me)
- you prefer to use less chemicals on your body (sort of me)
- you want to save money on shampoo and conditioner (hey, I'm in)
- you like a challenge (sure)
- its trendy (okay)
- your friends are doing it (soon to be you -- jk)

Here's more info on going no poo. This is my entire resource on the matter!

So basically I just need to get some baking soda and apple cider and mix them with water in the following ratios (from the link above):


They say that even if your hair is normally very oily, that it could very well be because regular shampoos are stripping your scalp of natural oils and it is overcompensating. I can get on board with that theory. My current method for taming my dandruff is T-gel which works pretty well, but my scalp then becomes very dry and itchy in the winter. I'm willing to try mostly anything to get my scalp to calm the F down.

Two more things:

- The greasy transition stage is apparently different for everyone. Some people might have no problem, but if your hair is usually greasy after a day you might have a more difficult time adapting to the absence of shampoo. I am going to try it, and as long as the greasy look doesn't get too awful I will try to push through.

- As I understand it, the baking soda and vinegar mixes are meant to just get you through the initial stages of going no poo. I don't think they are a "forever" shampoo and conditioner replacement, but I don't see why you couldn't keep using them. You don't have to be a hero unless you want to be.

I'll let you know how long I last!


No comments :

Post a Comment