icons

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

+/- 21 Days of Exercise

Well I've spent the last four days on struggle street when it comes to my 21 days straight of exercise. Saturday was the first day this whole time that I REALLY wasn't feeling it. I honestly never actually feel like working out (which you probably know); but this day I was on a different level. I call this level "bargaining" and we'll talk about that later. On the bright side, I made it 12 days before even considering an alternative for the day's planned workout. 

So Saturday, even though I had all the time in the world to work out, clean my room, brainstorm Etsy store ideas, write to you right here, etc. I chose to do none of those things, and I watched Marco Polo on Netflix. ALL. DAY. I knew I had a responsibility to myself to work out. Up until this point I had relied on the feeling of having "no choice," but something that day changed and I started going over my options. I was BARGAINING with myself.


"I didn't work out yet."
...
"Well, I could skip."
**deep breath**
**exhaling "Obviously I can't do that."**
"If I skip I will have to write about it and tell people I skipped."
...
"I could lie."
"For what? Lie to who?"
"It's kind of nice out, I could go for a run."
...
**eyes pan to the window, looking outside from my warm bed**
...
"It's not that nice."
"Well what counts as exercise?"
...
"I could do the 10-minute ab workout on the dvd."
"Ok ten minutes is not bad."
"Well neither is thirty minutes, but that's somehow too much today."
"10 minutes is not as bad as 30 minutes."
"I'm doing 10-minute abs."
**walking to the basement**
"Ok, well tomorrow is yoga and if I do 10-minute abs today, which is easier than dirty thirty, and I do the cardio tomorrow, it will be like I just switched days."
"Ok that works."

So I worked out for 10 minutes and went about my Saturday night into Sunday afternoon plans, and guess what happened Sunday night.

BARGAINING. 

I'm sad to report that on Sunday my lazy side was a sneaky bitch and she got her way. Meaning, I didn't work out. I missed a day.



Then Monday I had an after-work-thing and Tina (sneaky bitch just got a name) tried really hard to convince me to not work out again. Luckily I had come to terms with my missed exercise earlier that day by talking it out with myself and coming clean to my coworker (she's also my only confirmed reader - I know because she usually reads my posts while I'm in the room).

Confessing that I had experienced failure, and knowing that I was now going to have to write about failure, kind of took the all or nothing attitude out of my... Failure. I am okay with calling it that too, because technically the goal was 100% adherence and I didn't make it. I'm passed the days of lying to myself. I'm okay with over 95% adherence though. My pass/fail assignment has just become a classic percentage grading scale and I'm still getting an A+.

So my massage is scheduled for the 17th and I am going to still reward myself for 21 days of exercise, with one skip and an extra day tacked onto the end. My last day is the 15th, so I can work out the 16th and get my massage the 17th.

All in all I have learned a little something about the balance of an all or nothing attitude. A lot of times I really, truly do need to start off super rigid with my goals, or Tina will knock them right out of my hands. (Tina needs structure or she will act out.) Eventually though the all-or-nothing can hurt me if I do make a mistake. Basically I have to bluff to Tina and hope she doesn't realize I've bluffed until we are half way through to completing a goal. At that point in time some of the rigidity can fall off and I can ride the I've-come-this-far wave to the end of the goal.

Next time we talk about the 21 days of exercise we'll know. We'll know if I have conquered my irrational inability to stick to an exercise regimen. We'll discuss what my next steps are, and if I feel like a habit has been formed after 21 days.

In the meantime I may update you on Project No Poo. Until then.


No comments :

Post a Comment