icons

Monday, October 6, 2014

The Pies Begin Now

A lot of crazy stuff, planned and unplanned, happened in the last two weeks. Things are back to normal now. I'm ready to start the 25 Perfect Pie challenge.

This is a countdown to the one year due date of pies:






At first I wondered whether or not to share the strategies I've developed to make 25 pies in 52 weeks. It's not like there are a ton of shortcuts you can take to make pie, but there are a few. Plus I'm not here to create some kind of illusion of having all the time in the world to make pie over and over. I'm here to talk about how I'm going to accomplish something that I've always wanted to do, which is learn to make pie well.

Tonight I'll begin the challenge by making the biggest batch of pie crust you've ever seen. Out of 25 pies on the list to make, 18 of them are a traditional flaky pie crust. The rest are either a graham cracker crust, an almond torte type crust, or some kind of chocolate concoction. You might think that whoever compiled a list of 25 Perfect Pies for the Martha Stuart web site might have been thinking about ME using their article to learn everything I need to know about making pies, but you would have thought wrong. Out of the 18 or so pies that need a standard pie crust, there are 11 links to different pie crust recipes/links/URLs. Some of the links for crust lead to different URLs that are identical recipes with different names. Needless to say this drove me absolutely CRAZY, so I consolidated all 11 of the pie crust recipes into one master recipe based on the average use of ingredients among the 11 recipes.



Finally, the resulting pie crust recipe is...

In tomorrow's post.

No comments :

Post a Comment